Get A VIP Dental Experience
Serving All Your Dental Needs
Exceptional Dentistry Team in Palmdale, CA
The comfort and care of our patients is our highest mission. We pledge to provide the finest customer service, a relaxing environment, and the finest quality dental treatments that technology and education will allow. The Exceptional Dentistry Experience instills well-being, personalized care, and fulfills unexpressed desires.
James D. Powell, DDS
Dentist | Founder | CEO
Dr. James Powell is the founder and CEO of Exceptional Dentistry. What began as a childhood career dream is now an impactful dental practice in Palmdale, California. With over 30 years experience and 10,000 hours in advanced education, Dr. Powell is the dentist of choice for over 1,000 patients in four different states.
Dr. Powell has been featured on the local TV station as an expert in physiological dentistry, alternative sleep apnea treatments, and the mouth-body connection. He also conducts a monthly study club with other local health professionals for advancing patient care.
Dr. Powell has worked closely with Dr. Bruce Crispin, former director of UCLA’s Cosmetic Dentistry Center, and is a Fellow of the world-renowned Las Vegas Institute of Advanced Dental Studies.
Dr. Powell has been a part of the Antelope Valley for more than 50 years. He attended local elementary schools and graduated from Antelope Valley High School and Antelope Valley College. He played Little League, Pony League baseball, and worked in his father’s business, Green Pastures Dairy on Division Street in Lancaster. He married his high school sweetheart and they raised their five children in the Antelope Valley, where they are surrounded by family and lifelong friends. The family enjoys hiking, camping, swimming, and many other outdoor activities that allow them to take advantage of what the desert and the state of California has to offer.
He pursued undergraduate studies in biology at the University of the Pacific, and also attended California State University of Northridge for additional courses in science and business. Later, he graduated from the prestigious Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, earning his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree. It is Dr. Powell’s vision to positively affect the lives of as many people as possible, and believes one way to do this is by delivering the most advance treatment options available. Because of this belief, he has diligently pursued higher learning from the following facilities and organizations:
- Antelope Valley High School, 1973
- Antelope Valley College, 1974
- University of the Pacific, 1979
- California State University at Northridge, 1980
- Loma Linda University – Doctor of Dental Surgery, 1984
- Myotronics (Advanced Occlusion and Case Finishing), 1993, 1998-2000
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (Continuing Dental Courses), 1995
- International College of Cranio-Mandibular Orthopedics, 1996
- Esthetic Professionals (Advanced Fixed Prosthodontics and Occlusion), 2000-2001
- CEREC® CAD-CAM, 2003, 2004, 2010
- Nobel Biocare (Implant Restorations), 2004, 2005; Placing and Restoring Implants, 2005
- Las Vegas Institute (Advanced Dental Studies), 2000, 2007-2009, Received Fellow Award
- 3D Cone Beam Computed Tomography, 2009
- Member of International Association of Physiologic Aesthetics (IAPA), since 2009
- Advanced Radiological CBCT Interpretation, Computer-Guided Implant Surgery, 2010
- Scottsdale Center for Dentistry (Level 6 CT Guided Implant Surgery), 2010
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies (Primespeak), 2011
- ClearCorrect™ (Clear Aligner Therapy), 2011
- Scottsdale Center for Dentistry/Academy of General Dentistry (3rd annual CEREC Owners Symposium), 2011
- SybronEndo (Essential Endo), 2011
- Impant Direct Sybron Int. (Multi-Dimensional Approach to Implant Dentistry), 2011
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies (Non-Surgical Endodontics), 2011
- Advanced Treatment Planning Seminar, 2011, 2012
- The Shield Group (Infection Control), 2011, 2012
- Nobel Biocare (Esthetic Alliance – Module 1), 2011, 2012
- Esthetic Professionals (Surgical Implant Placement, Grafting and Prosthetic Design Series), 2012
- Myotronics (The Power of Neuromuscular Dentistry), 2012
- FOY Dentures (Training Program), 2012
- Patterson Dental (CEREC Study Club), 2012
- Patterson Dental (Placing Implants with CEREC and GALILEOS), 2012
- Great Lakes Education Center, 2012
- LVI (The Physiological Approach to Treating OSA), 2012
- LVI (Post Core Continuum), 2013
- LVI (The Oxygen Advantage), 2016
- ACT 260 Lasers in Restorative Dentistry NightLase® Smoothlase™, 2013
- ACT 260 Lasers in Restorative Dentistry Laser Operative, Endo, Perio (2 courses), 2013
- LVI (Cranio-Cervical Physical Therapy’s Role in Neuromuscular Dentistry), 2013
- LVI (Post Core Continuum: Level 1), 2013
- LVI (The Physiological Approach to Treating OSA: Level 2), 2013
- LVI (Practical Advanced TMD: Level 2), 2013
- LVI (Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders and Myofunctional Therapy), 2016
- Great Lakes Education Center (CEREC Owner’s Tips Tricks), 2013
- The Shield Group (Infection Control), 2013
- LVI (Pediatric Orthodontics), 2013
- LVI (Neuromuscular Ortho Mechanics), 2013
- SPEAR (Joint Examination), 2015
- SPEAR (Surgically Assisted Osteogenic Orthodontics), 2015
- SPEAR (The Gummy Smile – Differential Diagnosis), 2015
- SPEAR (Treating Significant Interior Gingival Recession), 2015
- SPEAR (Endo Vs. Extraction in a Fractured Interior Tooth), 2015
- SPEAR (Restorative Solutions for Failed Implants), 2015
- SPEAR (Integrating Aesthetics and Functions in Wear), 2015
- SPEAR (Complex Dental Cases), 2015
- SPEAR (Functional Treatment Planning), 2016
- SPEAR (Wear and Tooth Size Discrepancy in the Ortho/Restorative Case), 2016
- SPEAR (Functional Evaluation), 2016
- SPEAR (Diagnosing and Treatment Planning Interior Open Bites), 2016
- SPEAR (Patient Goals in the Comprehensive Exam), 2016
- LVI (Physiologic Orthodontics level 1), 2016
- IAPA (Evolutionary Changes in Physiologic Based Dentistry and Advanced Scan Interpretation), 2016
- IAPA (Creating a Computerized TAG Bite for a Sleep Appliance), 2016
- IAPA (Environmental Toxins and Their Relationship to: Heart Disease, Osteoporosis, Dementia, and Cancer), 2016
- IAPA (OSA Begins in Childhood), 2016
- LVI (Controlled Arch Orthodontics and Case Finishing), 2017
- LVI (Tactical Advanced TMD), 2017
- LVI (Full Safe Orthodontic “F2O” Physiologic Orthodontics Level 2), 2017
- SPEAR (Unesthetic Anterior Implants), 2017
- SPEAR (Orthodontic Extrusion and Implant Sites), 2017
- SPEAR (Patient Education), 2017
- SPEAR (Multiple Missing Teeth and the Complex Ortho/Surgical Restorative Case), 2017
- SPEAR (Anterior Trauma and Fractured Teeth), 2017
- SPEAR (Traumatic Avulsion of an Anterior Segment in a Very Young Patient), 2017
Olivia Berman, DMD
Dr. Olivia Berman is a general dentist, who is passionate about the dental health and aesthetic appeal of her patients.
Dr. Berman takes pride in offering the finest in patient care and services to every patient individually. She takes the time to get to know her patients and their comprehensive needs. She is a friendly face to make you comfortable in the dental office.
Dr. Berman graduated from Johns Hopkins University with her bachelors in science in molecular and cellular biology. She then went on to get a masters of science in biomedical science at Rutgers University in New Jersey. Dr. Berman earned her Doctorate of Dental Medicine at Roseman College of Dental Medicine in Salt Lake City, and completed her residency in Advanced Education in General Dentistry at the University of California, Los Angeles.
While at school, she volunteered her time doing research and being an active member in the American Student Dental Association.
Dr. Berman enjoys spending time with her family and her fur babies, Sasha and Bruce as well as spending time outdoors, hiking and practicing yoga.
Registered Dental Hygienist
Hannah is a Registered Dental Hygienist who graduated from Loma Linda University with a bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene. She is trained in periodontal treatments and advanced instrumentation, and is also certified in soft tissue laser therapy.
Hannah enjoys working at Exceptional Dentistry because she loves all of the advanced technology in the office that allows her to give our patients a more comfortable experience. Like the rest of the team, she’s adamant about putting the patient’s needs and comfort first. Patient comfort is a top priority for her, and she strives to ensure that each patient has a positive experience.
In her spare time, Hannah enjoys traveling, snowboarding, reading, hiking, and going on adventures with her husband and dog, Koda. She also loves spending time with her family and going home to the PNW as much as possible.
Registered Nurse | Myofunctional Therapist
Peggy is a Registered Nurse who graduated from San Bernardino Valley College with an AS in 1982. She has attended courses at the prestigious Las Vegas Institute for the Buteyko Breathing Method and has been trained by Joy Moeller in Myofunctional Therapy. She has also received advanced training by Dr. Shiffman in laser therapy for palatal bio stimulation.
Peggy enjoys working at Exceptional Dentistry because she finds the teamwork here to be fun. She really looks forward to being of service to the people that we see. She has a special talent for making everyone feel comfortable and loves all the technology in the office because she’s seen the difference that it’s made in people’s lives.
In her spare time, Peggy enjoys interior painting, reading, skiing, exercising and going for walks. She also loves spending time with her grandkids.
Hygiene Assistant & Coordinator
Aja went to Charter College and received her certification for coronal polishing and radiograph safety. She enjoys working in the dental field because she enjoys serving others and being able to help them get the smile of their dreams.
She enjoys working at Exceptional Dentistry because of the high level of customer care, where each patient is treated based on individual needs. She also loves the technology that is in the office because it allows us to be proactive instead of reactive about patient needs.
Aja loves to spend her free time baking and lounging with a good book. She also loves to spend as much time as she can with her family.
New Patient & Treatment Coordinator
Brosnan graduated with a Bachelor of Science in biology from Bushnell University in May 2022. He has worked in the dental field for three years. He is currently in the process of getting ready to take the DAT and apply to dental schools — with high hopes for attending Loma Linda! He is also five-star certified though Jay Geier’s Scheduling Institute.
Brosnan enjoys working at Exceptional Dentistry because of the extensive knowledge and training that the team has. He is proud to be able to work along side Loma Linda graduates. He also likes the office team and atmosphere, which supports education about all the parts of dentistry.
In his spare time, Brosnan does photography, specifically portrait and automotive photography for the last 10 years. He also loves to golf and was on the golf team for his university. Additionally, he has been a gamer for the past three years and was even on an esports team for his university. Road trips and travel are also a big past time! More trips are on the horizon.
Kendra holds a BA in Criminal Justice, with a minor in Business. She has attended marketing courses with Paul Moon, the President/Chief Marketing Officer at PanCom International Inc. She is also five-star certified through Jay Geier’s Scheduling Institute.
Kendra likes working at Exceptional Dentistry because it has the latest advancements in technology, and the team performs state-of-the-art techniques on a daily basis, which gets our patients excited about dentistry. She loves how the team is incredibly knowledgeable, empathetic, fun, and professional.
In her spare time, Kendra enjoys music, drawing, DIY projects, the beach, and spending time with her loved ones. She is also a licensed cosmetologist and professional makeup artist.
Relax at Your Visit
Our dental office in Palmdale, CA is sure to be the most relaxing and comfortable dental visit you’ve ever had.
Equipped with the latest and greatest dental technology, you can enjoy the benefits of NO-SHOT fillings, SINGLE-VISIT restorations, safer radiograph digital images, and many more benefits!
They are friendly and helpful and straightforward.
March 16, 2023
I love this dental office, they’re always make me feel so comfortable and relax, big kudos to all the staff. Great job.👍👍👏🏼👏🏼❤️
May 16, 2023
I’ve known Dr Powell for over 30 years. He is a trusted and excellent dentist. I recommend Dr Powell whole heartedly.
November 16, 2022
Professional, caring, kind and very efficient!
August 16, 2022
Hygienist was exceptional. Good add to the team.
November 16, 2022
Love this dentist office! Everyone is incredibly sweet and friendly. I have gone for over 20 years! They are an American-loving business and that has been very hard to come by these past few years! Thank you for all you do and stand for!
November 16, 2022
I had a great experience today with my dental hygienist she clean my teeth very through, just love the feeling of clean teeth.
December 16, 2022
Hannah is very good at her job! Asia is very caring. Dr. Powel is the best!
November 16, 2022
I love these people. Friendly, professional and thorough. I feel I am in great hands.
March 16, 2023
Only dentist I look foward to seeing. 🙂 Had a few traumatic dental experiences in the past, and they're helping me heal both my gums and my past experiences.
November 16, 2022